Friday, September 23, 2011

Sep 23rd 2011

  Yesterday I had my first book club meeting of the year! I was very excited because it was India themed and our leader spent a lot of time making traditional Indian food! To be honest, it all tasted like different chili's. We just finished reading Life Of Pi, which is NOT math themed like I thought when I saw the title. It's a really good book about how strong the will to live really is and the importance of storytelling. My book club is all homeschoolers, so that's another place I get to hang out with my friends.
  Being homeschooled, I like to think I have little bit more variety in my life than someone else my age going to school everyday. We talked about the differences between routine and ritual yesterday and I think school is all routine! Now, I have a morning routine. But it generally doesn't last longer than 9:00am. After that, my day is free reign. Anything could happen. I might decide to go to the library or ask Mom for a driving lesson. I could go sit on the couch playing with my iPod or we might go meet my Grandma for lunch.
  Now, you might be saying "Well how can you join a marching band? Or go to prom? What about the traditional things that schools offer?". There are a lot more homeschool opportunities nowadays than there used to be. Some of my friends are in a homeschool band and they play at different football games. There's a homeschool football team and every year there's a homeschool Prom. There is almost nothing that schools offer that you can't find a homeschool group to join. And if on the off chance you can't find the homeschool group for the activity you want to do, start one!
    What kind of activities do you enjoy doing? Do you agree or disagree that homeschooling has just as many activities to offer? Why? Let me know! I really am curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment