Thursday, September 22, 2011

So really, tell me about yourself.

I'm a 17 year old girl and I'm homeschooled. I don't wear long skirts with turtlenecks, I have plenty of friends, and I don't collect creepy china dolls.
For the most part, I'm a pretty normal girl! I feel like the stereotype of homeschooled students is that they don't fit into society.

Well, that depends on the society. To be honest, I don't fit in very well with the goths and the punks and metal heads. However, I have friends who participate in their school's AFJROTC program, I have a friend who competes in state piano competitions, and I have friends who compete nationally in dance competitions. I have friends in college and I have friends in junior high. You couldn't put my whole group of friends in any one classification but, somehow, we all fit in together just fine.

So, what is the stereotype, exactly? When you hear homeschooled, what image pops into your head? Well, if you know me, it's certainly not one of a nerdy girl in glasses and sweats who never leaves the house. Most of the time when people find out I'm homeschooled, they're surprised. Now I can understand a certain amount of surprised, because homeschooling isn't SUPER common. But usually, they're surprised because "I seem so normal!"(that's a quote from a woman I met a few years ago). Now, I do have have friends who go to school, but I also have homeschooled friends. And they all seem "normal" to me.

So that leads me to ask you, what is normal? Have you ever met any "stereotypical" homeschoolers? Can you honestly classify your whole group of friends into one group?

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to answer the questions, I really do want to know!

    ReplyDelete